Consultation on proposals for a Sustainable Development Bill
This consultation sets out our proposals to develop and strengthen our approach to sustainable development in Wales. Please submit your comments by 18 July 2012
We committed in Programme for Government to:-
- Legislate to make sustainable development the central organising principle of the Welsh Government and public bodies in Wales; and
- Create an independent sustainable development body for Wales.
This consultation will inform the development of the Sustainable Development Bill White Paper. We plan to launch that document which will include more detailed proposals in autumn 2012.
In this consultation, we want your views on:
- our approach to a sustainable development duty that applies to organisations delivering public services;
- our approach to the role and functions of a new independent sustainable development body;
- the barriers to taking more long-term, joined-up decisions, and how to remove them;
- evidence on promoting sustainable development;
- reviewing existing legal duties and simplifying them in the proposed Sustainable Development Bill;
- the advantages and disadvantages of defining “sustainable development” in law.
How to respond
Please submit your comments by 18 July 2012, in any of the following ways:
SD Bill Team
If you have any queries on this consultation, please telephone: 029 2082 3388.
The information you send to us will be published in a summary of responses to this consultation. Normally the names and addresses (or part of them) of their authors are published along with the response. If you do not wish to be identified as the author of your response, please state this clearly when you write or e-mail.